Mosquitoes are dangerous insects. Their bites can cause a variety of diseases, the most common one being malaria. To avoid the diseases, you can try eliminating standing water, do a broadcast chemical treatment, place mosquito dunks, and apply liquid larvicide. Besides these, you can do a bacterial treatment or use non-pesticide approaches to get rid of the mosquitoes.
Interestingly, mosquitoes can infest any place, be it a home or place of work. For this reason, choose the best way to exterminate them and try it out to avoid the disease associated with them.
Identifying the Different Types of Mosquitoes
There are thousands of species of mosquitoes that are found in everywhere. Some of the most common species include the following:
Has its origin in Africa and is known for Malaria transmission. It is fond of living in cold climates, and it has the following features for identity:
- Is dark brown in color
- Its length of the wings is between 2.8 to 4.4mm
- Lays eggs on the water surface
- Has a life cycle of two weeks
Mostly found in the tropical climate and common for transmission of filariasis, encephalitis and West Nile virus. It can be identified through the following features:
- Around 4mm in length
- Light brown with dark wings
- Does not survive at very low temperatures
- Lays on standing water
- Is active at night
The mosquito originated from Africa and is known to carry yellow fever. It can be identified through the following features:
- Is larger than other mosquitoes as they can be 10mm in length
- Has white eyes
- Has white and black stripes on the legs and the body
- Lives in a moist and warm climate
- Bites during sunset, sunrise and the day mostly
- Lays on water
How to Inspect Common Areas in Which Mosquitoes Hide
Inspection of the places the mosquitoes live in is a challenging errand that requires a lot of care. You can follow the steps below to know how to go about the inspection of areas in which mosquitoes hide.
- Gather the Proper Protective Clothing and Tools - You should ensure that you have protective gear for the mission. Gloves, sleeves, long pant, and a mask are crucial to avoid any bite.
- Spot the Areas of Stagnant Water - The second step is to identify all the areas where water collect. It is these areas that give the mosquitoes a breeding ground, and they need to be cleared.
- Get Rid of Water - Ensure that no water collects and stagnates around your compound. If you cannot safely channel the water to a drain, use a bucket to fetch it and dispose of it. No container or ditch should keep water in your compound.
- Develop a Long-Lasting Plan - It may not be enough to empty and drain all the water in your compound. You need to develop a long-term plan for the stagnating water. You can get a professional to do some landscaping to avoid water stagnation in the future.
Treatment Options for Killing/Getting Rid of Mosquitoes
To avoid the problem of mosquito bites, you can try the following on how to get rid of mosquitoes;
1. Removing Stagnant Water
Standing water gives the mosquitoes a breeding ground. Once the water is drained, no multiplication will occur, and they will decrease and eventually become extinct in your home.
Pyrethroid sprays can be used to kill mosquitoes. They should be sprayed on the entire compound to make the fight against mosquitoes effective.
3. Using Dunks
This is a chemical method that kills larvae in standing water. These dunks yield immediate and long-lasting results and can take up to two months before there is a need to reapply.
Liquid larvicide is applied on water directly using a sprayer. It kills mosquitoes on the water, the eggs, and the larvae.
5. Using Bacteria
Bacillus thurengiensis is an example of a bacteria that is harmless to fish, plants, and other animals. However, it eliminates mosquitoes in the water.
6. Natural Herbs
Some natural herbs can also be used to repel mosquitoes in your compound. Below are a few good DIY examples for getting rid of mosquitoes.
7. Natural Oils
A variety of natural oils can also be used to prevent mosquitoes. Such include lavender oils. Still, a combination of coconut oil and neem oil can also do a perfect job.
8. Lemon balm
If you crush lemon balm and apply it on your body, mosquitoes will not come near you. The balm should contain citronella, as this is the key repellant.
9. A Recipe of Epsom Salt
A combination of Epsom salt, Listerine mouthwash, and beer can also keep mosquitoes off you. Make the mixture and apply it on your skin. Other ways of getting rid of mosquitoes include chemical use, the mosquito net, mosquito magnet, bug zappers, coffee grounds, and a dryer sheet.
If an infestation by mosquitoes in your area cannot be contained, it is good to call a professional to do the elimination. Aegis Pest Services provides this particular service exceptionally and you can request a quote if you require this service.
FACTS: Getting to Know Cockroaches
Some interesting facts about cockroaches that you may want to know.
How to Control Mosquitoes At Home This Summer
Warm climate make the mosquitoes hungrier, making you a potential recipe. However, exposure to too much sun dehydrates the mosquitoes but it never dries at Singapore hence need to take relevant precautions to avoid the looming predicaments.